Tutor System

The Department adopts a system whereby every foreign student is assigned a tutor who can give him or her individual extracurricular assistance on matters concerning his/her research and studies as well as formal university procedures. The tutor to be assigned is a graduate student who is majoring in the same field of study. The staff of the Foreign Student Office as well as the academic advisor of individual student may also be approached for advice on day to day general matters including housing accommodations.

Japanese Language Courses

The Department offers Japanese Language courses throughout the year beginning from April and October to help foreign students acquire practical skills in the language. Although Japanese Language capability is not a requirement of the graduate study programs, students new to Japan are encouraged to take the Basic Japanese course to help them enjoy a better everyday life in and out of the university during their stay in Japan. Spouses of students are also invited to enroll in these classes.

The Basic Japanese course aims at developing basic skills in speaking and listening as well as in reading and writing Japanese. In addition, more advanced courses such as Japanese Conversation and Reading are offered by the University's International Student Center.

These courses are given by instructors qualified to teach Japanese as a foreign language. The Japanese class also serves as a place for social interaction and occasionally for personal counseling for foreign students.

English Language Courses

Besides the Japanese Language courses, the Department also offers English Language courses. The courses are designed to improve students' skill in writing scientific and academic reports or papers. Although the courses are not a requirement of the graduate study program, all international students, regardless of whether or not English is their second language in their home country, are encouraged to attend.

The English courses are offered with the purpose of increasing awareness of and building skills for writing academic essays and research papers in English. There are courses at two levels which complement each other. The courses are taught by a qualified native English instructor.


The Saitama University International House was established for the purpose of providing accommodation and other facilities to foreign researchers and students in their first year of residence in university. Presently, the House consists of three buildings with a total of 172 single, couple and family rooms. In principle, the period of residence for researchers and students is one month minimum and one year maximum. Since the number of available rooms is less than the number of students applying for accommodation, only selected students and researchers are able to get rooms in International House. Many students find off-campus housing in apartments nearby the university. The FSO can help students to find such off-campus housing.